Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Proof!

A while back I wrote about my own Internet addiction. Turns out I wasn't that far from the truth. This scientist studied what happened when she asked college students not to use their cell phones or Internet for 24 hours (a REALLY long time). They had to keep a journal about how they felt and many used terms that one would associate with addiction and seemed to have some real withdrawal type symptoms.



What's funny is that on the CNN site you can also recommend the video via your Facebook account and here I am blogging about it. But I kind of agree with what they say at the end, that we do need to make sure there are moments of the day we are NOT connected (except for when you're reading my blog, of course) and are really interacting. I bet this lady is also sponsoring that unitasking seminar...

3 comments:

Jenenz said...

Reading your blog is a pleasure and not an addiction. Funny that CNN encourages the addiction by letting you share the story and video. Viral videos and memes, oh my!

Kaylia Payne said...

Wow, that is scary!! Maybe I say this simply because I am a blogger, but I think that blogs are sooo much different to facebook etc.
Facebook does seem rather addictive, whereas as the person above said, reading blogs/blogging is for fun!

Lindle said...

I think reading blogs is a fun way to get glimpses into other people's minds and lives, and then to read the responses lets us get into a conversation across the miles. And some blogs have adorable pictures of granddaughters and flowers and doors and crusty bread in French bakeries.
But addiction to the internet and texting and Facebook comments is creating a living problem. Are people really living their lives, or only writing about trivial moments? Instead of "get your head out of the sand" we now have to say, "Look up! You're missing life right now!"