Pages

Friday, March 1, 2013

"Lazy girl" lives up to her name


Lately I really feel lazy...

Last year when I was in school was quite the opposite.  I never had much time to chill.  Even evenings were usually spent studying or making notecards.  When I finished last June I tried to be very gung ho about writing cover letters and calling companies for lab jobs.  Now the French economy is not doing very well and jobs are hard to come by.  My work teaching English is kind of slow lately due to the school vacation period.  So I'm feeling like I'm in a bit of a holding pattern. 

And I'm starting to wonder if I need to kick things back into gear a bit.  My typical evening nowadays consists of chilling on the couch and checking my smart phone for emails or FB updates (evil technology that prevents me from being efficient!).  Last year I kept telling myself how great it would be to have all this free time again and how much I could get done.  But my motivation to do those tasks seems to have withered.

Like finishing Juliette's baby albums.  I've just recently finished her first year of pictures and still have a hefty pile to put in the album.  Not to mention all the photos I still need to print out that I have stored on the computer!

I could blame it on winter (and I will).  It has been cold and snowy lately and that's not conducive to getting out there and getting things done. Seriously.  As I write this I'm kind of shivery and drinking tea to warm myself up.  Not exactly get-up-and-overhaul-your-life kind of weather.  More like curl-up-and-pet-your-fat-cat kind of weather.

Snowy weather is beautiful but...
you can only take so many brisk walks in sub-freezing temps!



"Let me suck you into my world of naps..."

I am slowly trying to clean and organize things in my apartment in preparation for the move (let's hope).   One day, ONE DAY!, people, my house will resemble the Ikea catalog closet section.  Everything in its place.  We're not there yet but it's a dream.  I feel much cleaner mentally when things are clean.  Too bad the inertia of the couch prevents me from cleaning more. 

I also feel that I'm not physically moving around as much as I should.  I do walk into town sometimes but that's it.  I know I need some kind of aerobic exercise but am somewhat restricted by when Remi gets home.  Or I could use some of those holes in my work schedule to do something. But I've been saying that for about five years now...
This is nowhere near the magnitude of a mid-life crisis (though the big 4-0 is not far off...) but I think if I don't make a change in my lifestyle soon I might get "stuck" this way.
So how do YOU get motivated?

3 comments:

Jenenz said...

It is nice to have that down time. I can tell you are ready to get something going! To get motivated, I start with a small task. Better if it's a small fun task. Once you get going, you are inspired to do more. For me, I like doing different things, to keep it interesting.

Can you take a 15 minute walk outside, once in the morning and once in the afternoon? I do this at work. I go outside and look for animals (birds) as I walk.

Lindle said...

I think if you get the little house, you are going to be overwhelmed with activity. There will be so much to do!
Maybe you are doing the winter faux hibernation to prepare for what's coming.

Crystal said...

I love that first photo of outside. The light is gorgeous.

I'm finding it hard to stay motivated now that I'm unemployed. Thankfully I have my writing job at Dogster to keep me busy (and being paid is definitely motivating!).

As for exercise...walking a dog 4 times a day is a good excuse to get out and get some air!