Pages

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Train travel and (almost) touching the clouds

I always feel excited when I travel by train. Correction, when I travel by train for fun and not work. So I was feeling doubly happy when I took the train last Saturday with Juliette to go visit my friend Crystal. The trip was all I'd hoped for! Things were gray and rainy when we set out, but it didn't dampen my spirits.  It was truly strange to pull into the Charles de Gaulle airport station and not get off.  It's the place where my many trips to the US begin and end (sadly).


Even in the rain, the view out the window was still lush and different enough from my flatter part of France to keep my head dreaming.



We even got to sit in first class on one train since it was rather packed and the other passengers (including a French-Moroccan guy travelling with his American wife) said it was no big deal.  It is cozier!



And there at the Grenoble station my good friend Crystal and her husband Max were waiting for us.  And so began an extended weekend of fun and girlfriendly chats and visits in the mountain air.

It's silly to say, I told my hosts as we were driving around, but the clouds are closer here.  Being higher up I felt like I could touch the clouds and mist.  I really do find the landscapes there so inspiring and understand why my friend likes it so much!  Below you can see two different views from her apartment, one on a cloudy day, another on a clear day.





Crystal kindly showed us around an amazing museum and its gorgeous gardens on Sunday.  Great views inside and out!





Monday we headed into Grenoble for some city exploring and to take the cable cars up to La Bastille for some more breathtaking views.







I know my eyes are closed in that last one but it was a hoot anyway cause we got Juliette to take it for us and you can see I was really having a ball!

But we did have to head back home.  Crystal knows what a great time we had and how thankful I am to her and Max for letting us stay with them.  It's so important to chat with someone who knows where you're from and what you're going through in a foreign country.  I'm lucky to have friends like her and others I've met through work and in my town.

So we rode the rails again to get home and I tried to enjoy the train experience again.  This time we had to change in Paris in Gare du Nord.  And of course a Happy Meal at the McDonald's across from the station as we waited for our train connection was in order.





So, until next time in my neck of the woods, girlfriend, thanks again!!

3 comments:

Crystal said...

My pleasure! It was a lot of fun and I loved having you girls here (as did Max!). I hope to see you next chez toi dans le nooord!

Bisous to you and Juju xx

Jenenz said...

Travel by train is like traveling in another era. I still think train travel is so much nicer in Europe than the States. It looks like you had a wonderful time.

Deidre said...

It looks like so much fun! And I'm so happy that you two get to commiserate with other expats! That's so important.