Pages

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Thursday's child has far to go

Do you know this nursery rhyme?

Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace;
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go;
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for its living;
But the child that is born on the Sabbath day
Is bonny and blithe, and good and gay. 

 
I was born on a Thursday.  I guess you could say I did have far to go, too.  I used to be afraid to go farther than ten minutes from my house (my criteria for my university!) but somehow I ended up crossing the Atlantic.  Thursday has always been one of my favorite days of the week, too.  It's not as giddy as Friday.  But it still has the (comfortable) routine of the week with the promise of the weekend around the corner.  Even a rainy Thursday doesn't seem to bother me as much as other rainy days.  

Luckily last week we were blessed with a pleasant Thursday.  And I didn't really have "far to go" (like the nursery rhyme says) but I ended up going farther than I intended. I had a two-hour break between lessons in a company so set out to find a supermarket to buy some bread and figured I'd eat in my car.  But the signs indicating the supermarket seemed to disappear and I kept driving straight ahead.  I saw another car turn left just in front of a huge sign for a fishing ground and park.  I made a mental note to go back there another time or after the supermarket.

But ten minutes later I still hadn't found the supermarket so decided to turn around and go back to the park.  It was set back in a residential neighborhood.  The sign said cars should drive slowly into the area.  I found a well-paved parking area in between a pond and a marshy field and playgrounds and parked there.  I ate my cold salmon and rice in the warmth of my car as the March sun beat through the glass.  Then I decided to explore a bit. 

It was mild for mid-March but the wind could still pick up and blow some cold air around.  The plants still had their winter appearance but signs of spring were coming.  I was charmed by this little bridge and the happy ducks.
Yes, they're happy. Can't you tell?

They don't call this park "The Marsh" for nothing.  I did have to be careful stepping on the sometimes muddy grass.
If you look closely you'll see a daisy!

This is one of my favorite bushes because the bright red branches make a winter day less blah.  Leaves are about to spring forth.
I decided to relax a bit on this bench.  The fountain made a soothing sound.  
There are actually some industries and companies around this park.  I could also hear the sound of machines but it didn't take away from the charm of the place.

I ventured onward (cause I can't sit still for long) and saw a willow tree just starting to get its spring coat.  It's the yellowish tree in the center towards the left.


When I got closer I could see the leaves on the trailing branches.


I like the light this time of year.  Days are getting longer but the shadows still remind me a bit of winter.

And the sun glinting off the water is magical.

But I had to go on back.  I did eventually find that supermarket and got my bread, but I think my Thursday turned out better than I planned.  I may have gone a little farther, but it was worth the trip.

What day of the week were you born on? Find out here. Does the nursery rhyme fit you? What's your favorite day of the week?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that Milam and while I was reading, I was wondering how to find the day your're born on. Voila, you even supplied that link, I am fair of face, born on Monday!!!
Love you,
Sunny

Jessamyn said...

Well as today is my birthday - it makes perfect sense to comment. I was born on a Sunday (Palm Sunday that year). But I do not think I am bonny and blithe! But maybe I am good. I will try to be bonny and blithe today and have that carefree attitude. It's a lovely rhyme/poem though. And yes my dear, you have gone far, but that doesn't mean your journey is over.

Jenenz said...

Oh dear, I'm Eeyore, born on a Wednesday. Wednesday's child is full of woe. Those gray clouds hovering over me. I've learned to blow those gray clouds away, part ways to have the sun shine in. I guess I'll always have Eeyore in me. At least I don't lose my tail.

I Say Oui said...

I love unexpected wanderings like that. They end up not being detours but the main attraction. Your walk sounds lovely, and your photos are too.

Lindle said...

a bit of a Thoreau-like journey for a Thursday child....always good to stop and wander and wonder, take it in...

Interesting that in one of your photos you see the giant towers of electrical power, and nature doesn't care a bit.

Unknown said...

I am a Thursday child too!! Guess I have gone pretty far too :p and yes, I love the light this time of year - the lengthening days and the long shadows when the sun is still low.